KEAM Marking Scheme 2020 (Pass Mark) Syllabus & Exam Pattern, KEAM Exam Date, KEAM Marking Scheme, KEAM Syllabus, Keam Negative Marking, Keam Admit Card, Call Letter.
KEAM Exam Pattern 2020 will be released by the Commissioner for Entrance Examination (CEE) along with the information brochure. KEAM 2020 exam is scheduled to be held on July 16 in pen and paper mode. Candidates seeking admission at engineering colleges in the state of Kerala need to appear for two papers which form a part of KEAM exam. Paper 1 will consist of questions asked from Physics and Chemistry, while Paper-II will contain questions from Mathematics.
KEAM Exam Pattern 2020 gives information about marking scheme, question paper type, paper mode and exam duration. The KEAM 2020 exam will be conducted by CEE (Commissioner of Entrance Examination). It is a state level examination. Through this exam, candidates will get admissions to students in engineering & pharmacy courses offered by different colleges and institutions of the Kerala state. Exam authority will not conduct any entrance examination for Medical, B. Arch and Allied Courses. Candidates can get admission in Architecture courses through NATA 2020 scores. For Medical courses candidates can get admission through NEET 2020 scores. Through this article, candidates can check information related to KEAM 2020 Exam Pattern.
KEAM Marking Scheme 2020
Before we move ahead towards the detailed KEAM exam pattern, it is mandatory for candidates to understand the exam syllabus. KEAM syllabus usually consists of topics taught in Class XI and Class XII. However, to get an insight into the Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics subject, check out KEAM syllabus 2020.
Commissioner of Entrance Exams (CEE) has released KEAM Exam Pattern 2020 at its official website (www.cee-kerala.org). It specifies the number of questions, marking scheme, mode of the exam, duration of the exam, etc. By taking help of the exam pattern, candiates will able to get an idea about the basic intricacies of the entrance exam. The exam will be conducted in Offline mode. KEAM Aspirants can also make preparation strategy by going through KEAM 2020 Exam Pattern.
- Engineering test comprises of 2 papers – Paper I (Physics and Chemistry) and Paper-II (Mathematics), conducted in two days sessions. Candidates appearing for B.Pharm must appear for Paper I only.
- The standard of the entrance test is that of a Higher Secondary or equivalent exam. KEAM 2020 Syllabus is based on Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics of Higher Secondary Level (10+2) or equivalent exam. Having knowledge of the entire exam pattern of KEAM and syllabus will help in preparing better for the exam.
KEAM 2020 Exam Pattern – Overview
After the candidates know that they will appear for the KEAM examination, they need to start with the preparation. Candidates must know the paper pattern for the KEAM exam. Understanding of the exam pattern is important to create strategy for the KEAM exam. Candidates can check the table below to know the exam pattern of KEAM 2020.
KEAM Exam Pattern – Overview
|Name of the exam||Kerala Engineering Architecture Medical|
|Commonly known as||KEAM|
|Mode of the exam||Offline|
|Type of Questions||Objective Type (also known as MCQ)|
|Number of options per question||5|
|Number of correct option||1|
|Level of the exam||State-level|
|Frequency of the exam||Once a year|
|Number of Papers||2|
|Total number of questions in the exam||120 (in each paper)|
|Total marks||480 (in each paper)|
|Marks per question||4|
|Negative marking||Yes, -1 for each incorrect response|
|Total sections (in two papers combined)||3|
|Duration of the exam||2.5 hours for each paper (150 minutes)|
Detailed KEAM Exam Pattern
The pattern of the exam states that the KEAM question papers will comprise objective type questions (MCQ). For each question asked, five answers will be suggested but, only one of them will be correct. All the questions asked will be from KEAM syllabus listed for Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology.
For every correct response in the Engineering and Medical Entrance Examinations, candidates will be awarded four marks and for each wrong response, one mark will be deducted from the candidate’s total score.
Take a look at the detailed KEAM exam pattern below:
|Time Allotted||Total no. of questions||Total marks|
|Paper I/Physics and Chemistry|
KEAM 2020 Question Booklet Layout
Each question paper will have 4 versions as detailed below:
Paper 1 – Physics and Chemistry | Versions: A1, A2, A3 and A4
Paper 2 – Mathematics | Versions: B1, B2, B3 and B4
- The question booklet version will be printed on the top left margin of the facing sheet of the question booklet.
- If the Roll Number ends in an odd number, then the candidate should get a question booklet marked A1/B1/A3/B3.
- If the Roll Number ends in an even number, then the candidate should get a question booklet marked A2/B2/A4/B4.
- On receipt of the question booklet, ensure that the Version Code printed in the Admit Card and in the question booklet is the same.
- If the candidate gets a question booklet where the version does not match the Roll Number, inform invigilator immediately, and get it replaced by a version that matches the Roll Number.
The question paper will be given in the form of a question booklet. It will be provided before the actual time prescribed for the commencement of KEAM, to help in understanding the instructions to be followed.
KEAM Exam Pattern 2020 – Marking Scheme
Marking scheme refers to the marks awarded to a candidate for correct and incorrect responses. Through the KEAM marking scheme, candidates will know about the marks they will be awarded for every correct answer. CEE Kerala will use the official marking scheme to evaluate the score of the candidate in the exam. Candidates can check the KEAM 2020 marking scheme from the table below.
KEAM Marking Scheme
|Every correct response||4 marks are awarded|
|Every incorrect response||1 mark is deducted|
|Unattempted questions||No marks awarded or deducted|
Looking at the brief KEAM exam pattern above, candidates know that the exam will have three sections. These three sections are divided into two papers. Candidates need to appear for both the papers if they wish to get engineering admission based on the KEAM score. Weightage of marks in both the papers is the same.
KEAM Syllabus 2020
KEAM 2020 Syllabus has been prescribed by the Commissioner of Entrance Examination (CEE). It is comprised of Higher Secondary (10+2) or equivalent examinations. The syllabus of KEAM consists of the following subjects: Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics. Before exam preparation, candidates should know complete details about given subject syllabus.
Candidates must check some important topics from the given section-
- Physics syllabus consist topics like Gravitation, Waves, Electrostatics, Work, Energy and Power, Current Electricity, Magnetic Effects of Current, Atomic Nucleus etc.
- Mathematics syllabus includes topic like Statics, Calculus, Algebra, Trigonometric, Geometry and much more.
- Chemistry syllabus includes topics as Thermodynamics, Hydrocarbon, Solutions and States of Matter etc.
KEAM 2020 Qualifying Marks
- In order to qualify for the engineering exam and have their names in merit list, a minimum of 10 marks in each of the papers is required.
- Candidates who do not score the minimum stipulated marks will not qualify and hence will not be short-listed for admission to the respective course.
- It should also be noted that applicants who fail to answer even a single question in each paper will automatically be disqualified and declared ineligible for further rounds of admission.
- Applicants belonging to the reserved category (SC/ ST) will be exempted from the said rule and there will be no minimum requirement of marks in KEAM entrance test for such candidates.
KEAM 2020 Exam Pattern – In Detail
As the candidates already know the brief exam pattern for KEAM, they can scroll down and know the KEAM paper pattern in detail.
Mode of Examination – The KEAM 2020 is conducted in an offline mode by CEE, Kerala. Optical Mark Recognition(OMR) system for marking the answer in KEAM answer sheet is used. Candidates must know how to mark the answers in the OMR sheet. If the candidates mark the answers incorrectly in the OMR sheet it may lead to negative marking in the KEAM examination.
As the candidates know that the KEAM exam is conducted in an offline mode, they may practice the past year question paper and have a look at the answer sheet layout to know how to mark the answers in the OMR sheet.
Level of Examination – KEAM is conducted for admission in universities operating in the state of Kerala. Candidates qualifying in KEAM will have a chance for admission into various government and private institutes available in the state of Kerala. Thus, KEAM is a state-level examination.
Question Type – KEAM uses the objective type format for the questions in the examination. Candidates will get multiple choices for marking the answer for a particular question. Candidates need to choose the correct option out of all the options available for answering. Check features of the KEAM question type below:
- Number of options – Every question in KEAM 2020 will have five options in total. Out of these options, candidates are required to choose the correct option.
- Number of correct options – Out of these five options, only one option is correct. Candidates need to mark one option in the OMR sheet.
Paper in Exam – CEE, Kerala has divided the KEAM examination for engineering admission into two papers, candidates need to appear for both the paper compiled in KEAM 2020. Papers in KEAM are categorised as Paper I and Paper II. A total of three subjects are divided into these two papers. The three sections in the paper are divided as follows:
- Paper I – Physics and Chemistry
- Paper II – Mathematics
Number of Question and Marks per section – As the candidates already know that the KEAM is divided into two papers. Candidates need to answer questions from physics, chemistry and mathematics. The number of marks and questions has been distributed among these three sections or the two papers of KEAM. Check the table below to know the marks and question distribution among both the papers of KEAM.
Number of questions and marks
|Paper||Subject||Number of questions||Total marks|
|Paper I||Physics and Chemistry||120||480|
Exam Duration – KEAM examination is conducted for two papers, both the papers are conducted separately. However, identical to marks and question distribution, the duration of both the papers is also the same. Both Paper I, as well as Paper II, are conducted within one fifty minutes or two and a half hours each. Candidates need to answer all the one hundred twenty questions compiled in one paper within this time frame.
Difficulty Standards – CEE Kerala has set the difficulty standards as that of higher secondary standards or equivalent examinations. The syllabus for all the sections is similar to the higher secondary syllabus. Candidates appearing for KEAM 2020 must know the syllabus as well.
KEAM 2020 Tie-Breaking Procedure
In case of a tie between the scores of two or more candidates following criteria will be applied to select the candidate:
- A candidate with higher marks in Mathemetics in KEAM 2020 will be given preference.
- If the tie persists, candidates who score more in Physics will be given preference.
- If still there is a tie, then candidiates with higher standardized marks in Mathematics of the 12th standard will be ranked higher.
- If still there is a tie, then higher standardized marks in Physics during 12th standard examinations will be considered.
- When none of the above options work, then age will be used to break the tie. Candidate who is older in age will be ranked higher.
KEAM 2020 Important Instructions
Applicants must ensure that they follow some rules and regulations to maintain the decorum of the exam hall and to ensure that the examination proceeds properly.
- Candidates must only bring their KEAM 2020 Admit Card, blue or black ball-point pen and a clipboard. Forbidden items like correction fluid, calculator, logarithm table, mobile phones etc. will not be allowed inside the exam centre.
- Applicants must report at their respective centre 30 minutes before the exam commences.
- They must ensure that they fill up the details properly on the question booklet and the odd-even rule for KEAM Roll number and Question Booklet number match accordingly.
- To mark a response on the OMR sheet, students must darken the bubble in a prescribed way otherwise it will not be counted.
Ans. As per KEAM Marking scheme, 4 marks will be added for every correct response, and 1 mark will be deducted for every incorrect response. There will be no negative marking for unattempted questions.
Ans. Till 2019, KEAM has been conducted in offline mode, and the same is expected this year. Any change in the mode of exam will be notified here.
Ans. There are 2 papers of 2.5 hours each conducted in 2 days.